The Outstanding New Teacher Award recognizes outstanding teachers whose excellence in world language teaching may not be recognized otherwise, and to demonstrate that the profession and KWLA care about new teachers and their professional growth.
The recipient of the KWLA “Outstanding New Teacher Award” is a teacher with no more than five years experience who has already made an amazing impact on their students by exhibiting the following qualities to an uncommonly high degree:
- Frequent use of the target language in instruction
- Designs instruction to meet the individual needs of all learners
- Designs and implements activities that meet the goals of the World Readiness Standards set forth by ACTFL
- Engages students in cultural learning both inside and outside of the classroom
- Continuously seeks out opportunities to grow and improve his or her own professional practice
- Stays actively involved in professional language teaching organizations
- Exhibits strong leadership skills through various experiences (e.g. presenting sessions and workshops for conferences)
- Exhibits excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Regularly and effectively advocates in his or her community, and, if given the opportunity, at the state and even national level for the advancement and enhancement of world language teaching and learning for all students.
Teachers selected as “KWLA Outstanding Teacher” and “Outstanding New Teacher” will be asked to fill out and sign a commitment form indicating they will:
- attend KWLA Fall Conferences in 2017 and 2018,
- co-present the New Teacher Workshop at the 2016 Fall Conference, and
- serve as a spokesperson for the profession at KWLA events and state advocacy events (i.e. Languages & Legislators).
- Current KWLA member in good standing with a maximum of five years’ experience as a world language educator
- Evidence of quality and impact of teaching with program descriptions and letters of support from students, colleagues, administrators
- Evidence of service to school, community, and state organizations including memberships, offices, contributions, presentations to the public, media coverage, and participation in cultural events
- Record of participation in professional development
Award Nomination Evidence**
- Letter of endorsement from a professional colleague
- Letter of endorsement from a supervisor/administrator
- Letter of endorsement from a current or former student or parent
- Current Curriculum Vitae of not more than five (5) pages which includes: Educational background; Teaching experience; Recent travel related to teaching; Service to the world language profession as a whole; Membership in other professional organizations; Workshops given, papers presented, articles published; Awards and honors received
- A five hundred word first-person statement on the importance of developing language and cultural competencies
Award Nomination Procedures
- Select a candidate who meets the award criteria listed above*
- Fill out the online nomination form
- Work with your nominee to make sure that all of the required “Award Nomination Evidence”** is submitted by the deadline to the KWLA Awards Committee Chair at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Have any further questions about awards and nomination procedures? Please contact the KWLA Awards Committee Chair anytime at: email@example.com
DISCLAIMER: A press release for winners of the Outstanding Teacher Award will be published within a week after the conference. Press releases for all other awards winners will be available by request only.